Love Letters
This past weekend I went perusing through the clearance section in a local used bookstore and found an anthology of love letters. Actual letters written by people to their spouses, fiances, and so on. Some even a couple hundred of years old.
I had to pick it up and buy it. And after reading through the last couple days I have been amazed at the way people used to articulate their feelings. I lamented to my husband that he'd never written me a "love letter" and he reminded me that we've never been apart for more than a couple days in all the time we've been together! In the age of the internet, letters have nearly become obsolete. But emails, tweets, text messages, and facebook posts don't come close to the kind of passion and beauty in the words written long ago.
I mean, who wouldn't want something like this written to them?
"I cannot behold you without emotion; my heart still answers to your voice, my blood in my veins to your footsteps."
"All will pass, except for my passion for you."
"For me, to love is to love you."
"Don't you know everything I do is always done with you in mind. When I have proof of success this is simply my homage to you."
"I should like to live at your feet and die in your arms."
Think those words are pretty amazing? That they convey some kind of love that's indescribable? How about these words?
I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen (Ephesians 3:16-21).
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved (Ephesians 2:4-5
The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness" (Jeremiah 31:3).
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love (John 15:9).
Hmm. Seems to me I already have the greatest love letter ever written
Emily
Labels: Emily






3 Comments:
Nicely said. Great reminder, and I love that a quaint, old book sparked your memory of an even more wonderful love letter written.
By the way, love your name. My daughter's name is...Emily too. :)
Lue
Thanks Lue! It's easy to forget how passionately He loves each one of us, and I was thankful He reminded me this week.
I've always loved my name. I'm named after my mom (Missy Horsfall - if you know her). Her middle name is Emily. :)
Thanks Lue! It's so easy to forget how He passionately loves each one of us. I was thankful He reminded me this week.
I've always loved my name. I'm named after my mom (Missy Horsfall - if you happen to know her thru COF). It's her middle name. :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home