Guest Blogger Lue Shetler
Invitations
The other day I paused while walking by the kitchen counter and picked up 3 separate wedding invitations and studied them. I was thinking how each of them had been uniquely created to fit each of the soon-to-be bride's tastes.
One of the invitations had a little saying. "Love isn't love 'till you give it away." The other two even more simple in their styles, one with a little bow and the invitation itself folded in a manner that is pleasing to the eye. The third one really had no fuss to it. Just the invitation, who, where, and when, were all simply stated and a purple sticky note attached asking if Bert and I would serve coffee to the "youth" at dinner time. (All are invitations to Amish weddings.)
I pondered upon each invitation that day and since then have been reflecting on other invitations we receive periodically over a year's time. Graduation, Baby Shower, Bridal Shower, Birthday party invitations, and oh, one can't forget the anticipated summer picnics and reunions.
With anticipation we open most invitations and look forward to what each one has to offer inside. The art, the words, the meaning, and especially who the honored one is being celebrated. But as I've been thinking about these invitations I was thinking of all the other invitations I may miss due to not opening my Bible more often or when I do it may be in a more hurried manner and I miss seeing what kinds of invitations are in there for me to anticipate and participate in every day.
Let's see what a couple of those invitations could look like.
Matthew 11: 28-30
Imagine a card in a sage-green background color - a picture of a lush, green, field filled with wildflowers is overlaying the background. The sunshine is spilling out over the page and a beautiful, flourishing forest is on one side with a little brook passing by the side of the forest and as a place of quiet respite from the sun, a bench is place by the rippling brook and written in a soothing script is the following message:
COME AS YOU ARE PARTY!
You, my child, are invited this day to come, because, you have labored for far too long. The burdens you carry are too heavy, please meet me and I will give you what you need. Come join me and I will teach you how to rest. I will take your burdens and I promise to be gentle with you while we are in transition because I know that you feel responsible for the burdens you carry. For this, I love you dearly and I want to care for you, you have been a faithful and a true servant, but you have carried too much, for far too long. Come this day and together we will find rest for your soul and I promise when our moment together is over you will feel lightness and freshness in your soul. You will be renewed and rejuvenated and you will feel like you can do life again with a renewed zeal and zest.
Yours Truly and Always,
Jesus
Or what about this kind of invitation?
Matthew 6: 25-34
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." Matthew 6: 33 NKJ
Can you imagine what this invitation would look like in art and words? I can see the words "SEEK ME" scripted out over the page - a very commanding invitation and then the promise of meeting my needs by the artwork nestled in amongst the letters. There would likely be some items of clothing lying on a bed of lilies. The food art would probably be a Martha Stewart-esque picnic table with a bountiful summer-y meal, the picture implying that I would always be full and satisfied. In one corner of this invitation might be a nice car, one that is practical for my needs. I can see a gas card with dollar signs on it in the artwork by the car so I would get the gist that even the money for gas would be provided for.
For each individual there is a custom invitation because in some cases our needs differ. Someone may have a sickly child who needs a special machine and that machine would be on the invitation. Another's mortgage bill would be pictured because the person is out of a job and God promises He will provide as we seek His kingdom.
Imaginations could go on all day, but the real point is that the invitation is to Seek Him first and all these things will be added to you.
These and many more invitations lie within the pages of the Bible and it is my job to find those invitations and make them personal for myself. They don't come in the mail with a postage stamp attached. They only come as I make time to have a personal relationship with the Lord, my God. The before-mentioned wedding invitations are exclusive for only a certain group of people the brides and grooms have invited to their respective weddings, however, the invitations in the Holy Bible are inclusive. They include each one of us and they are there for each individual to accept as we read them and understand what each invitation is.
It would be interesting, exciting, and inspiring to read what other kinds of invitations you, the reader, has accepted as you've had your time with God. Please share in the comments section if you wish to. I look forward to hearing from you!
Because of Him!
Lue
Labels: Lue






2 Comments:
I love this illustration - God's invitations to us are ongoing and never expire!
The RSVP of salvation : ) PTL
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home