Missing Headphones
I came into work this morning and found that my headphones had been taken off my desk. Stolen, likely by the cleaning crew. I mean, they're only ten bucks, and easily replaced, but it means a day without my IPod, and that can make for a long day.
So I started plotting.
What can I leave behind for them as revenge? Chewed gum for them to pick up? Poke holes in my trash bag and dump liquid in there before I leave? Nasty notes?
They stole from me!! The nerve!!
A couple years ago as I was moving from my brother's home to an apartment I had all my CDs loaded up in plastic bags in my back seat. No air conditioning in my car meant the windows got rolled down. I took a load up to my third story apartment and when I came back down all my CDs were missing. Every last one of them.
The only solace I had was that whoever took them was probably disappointed by my collection and probably had no clue who Steven Curtis Chapman or Point of Grace was. Which also meant they probably sold them online or something. Or threw them away.
I had so much money invested in those.
But seriously, who are these people that steal stuff? My stuff? What kind of person is it that takes things that belong to someone else?
A person just like me. You see, the only difference between me and someone like that is that I have Jesus. My heart is just as evil. But I've allowed Christ to come in and make it clean. And He's the only one who can make it clean. It's His saving grace, His amazing love, that prompts me to give instead of take. It's nothing within myself.
Paul explains it so well in 1 Timothy 1:12-17.
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that He considered me faithful, appointing me to His service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
If Christ can show unlimited patience on those who act in ignorance and unbelief, I think I can handle buying a new set of headphones.
Emily
Labels: Emily






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home