Where Seldom Is Heard A Discouraging Word - Wouldn't That Be Nice?
Over the weekend my family went to Canton to do some shopping. I am able to say 'family' because our son went along as well, and he went WILLINGLY. How does THAT happen? Especially when he claims that he breaks out in hives and can't breathe when we walk into Kohls. (He associates Kohls with CLOTHES shopping-yuck!) This trip, however, was very different for us. This trip was all about ELECTRONICS-a laptop and wireless router. Okay, we also picked up a much needed dehumidifier. I got excited about that purchase! Now, here is a very cool part of our trip. We had researched all of these items for quite some time and were now in a financial position to be able to make the purchases. The laptop of choice was now on sale, and we were armed and ready. When we got to the store, we discovered that the laptop was discounted an additional $110.00! Truly this was the perfect choice for us. We decided to have the famed Geek Squad install everything that we needed-for an additional cost, of course; but it was certainly worth it to us. However, they said it would take 24 hours to do so. That was okay with us except that we would need to make another trip to Canton simply to pick up the computer-didn't like that! That 'sweet Geek' went to start the paperwork and found that the store had ONE of those laptops that had already had all of the installations recently done; so we got to take it home with us right away-sweet! We walked out of that store feeling amazingly good about our purchases and thanked God right there in the parking lot for His guidance and provision. Now it was time to eat-that's always a great part of a trip anywhere.
We headed to a nearby Wendy's, and each of us got one of the current $2.99 value meals. (We are all such a cheap date!) One of the things that we talked about was how good it feels to know that you waited to make a purchase (or two!) until just the right time. That is such a hard thing to do! As we ate and talked I kept observing the team of employees as they served both the customers and one another. They really did such a fine job. I loved watching them as they worked behind the scenes, did clean up duty, opened doors for moms with babies, smiled, and exhibited great courtesy and politeness, even to one another. They were all so young, including the manager. I felt as if I was a proud mom watching them. And then (my family KNEW this was coming), I just had to tell them. Do you know the joy that comes from letting someone know how much you notice and appreciate how well they are doing their job? I love to see the looks on strangers' faces when they are sincerely affirmed. It is as if that kind of encouragement acts like a 'makeover' for them. Their smiles become even larger; their eyes more bright; and their already fine treatment of the customers becomes even finer! As I walked out the door I smiled and waved and fully expected the rest of their night to be just a bit sweeter-even if rough times were yet to come. Sincere and intentional encouragement is just the right tool for helping someone to glide a bit more smoothly through those rough spots.
When Mike, Darian, and I went to Florida over spring break-with about 180 high school band and choir students(!)-we took them all to Ron Jon's Surf Shop. Can you imagine that many students shopping in one place?! The students were so great, but that scenario holds much potential for STRESS on the part of the employees. I had the privilege of observing one young man who worked diligently, kindly, and tirelessly as he served one student after another-after another, after another, and you get the picture! Chris did an amazing job, and as I watched him I again remember feeling like a proud mom. So-I just had to tell him what I thought. The look on his face was priceless. He was like a little child who had just been told he had won a lifetime supply of candy for being the best kid in the world! As I kept making my way throughout the store keeping track of students here and there, my peripheral vision would catch a glimpse of Chris looking at me and smiling-and then continuing to serve others with such genuine kindness, which I do believe had grown even more! Again, that is what sincere encouragement will do for another. Encouragement acts as 'fuel', and it enables the 'encouraged' to then become the 'encourager' in the lives of others.
Please, please know that I am NOT telling you any of this to glorify myself or my efforts. God has grown this desire to be an encourager/affirmer within me. It hasn't always come easily-and still doesn't many times. I just know how important encouragement and affirmation are and how drawn I am to people who should be the receivers of such. (Honestly though, I can be so guilty of NOT being an encourager/affirmer of others! I could write a whole book about that!) And so I will close by encouraging YOU to take a risk-encourage and affirm someone today. "Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." --1 Thess. 5:11
Thanks for reading,
Libby
Labels: Libby






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home