Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Friday, April 9, 2010

Defining Failure

Several weeks ago I talked about success but today I'm feeling philosophical about failure.

How do you define 'failure'? Is failure sin? I'm sure (continuing in) sin is failure- yet are any of us without sin? We can't be perfect here on earth so if we sin, as we do everyday, does that mean we live defeated lives because we sin? We strive to be like Christ - we aim to please God - yet sin is there and will always be there with our old nature. Have we 'failed' before we've begun?

I don't think failure is sin - unless we fall into an apostasy (ie - "abandonment of a previous loyalty" or "renunciation of a religious faith") or become an apostate in our spiritual lives. If we cease to strive to be Christ-like, if we cease to move forward and grow - if we cease to allow God to change and mold us - that is failure.

Each day we live we make a hash of something - we fail to speak up when we should, we fail to keep silent, we fail to be kind and patient in trying circumstances, we fail to be joyful - we 'fail' to be free from anxiety and worry.

As we grow from childhood to adulthood we try - and fail - many tests. I've taken ballet lessons, but I'm no dancer. I majored in art in college, but I'm not an artist. I've studied French (a total of eight years of it) but guess what? I can't speak French (and lost whatever understanding I might at one time have had of it). These and so many more things I've attempted - and 'failed'. Is this how we define failure?

The only failure is not to do the best that is in you - yet we can fail at that, too, can't we? I think the only failure is in giving up - is giving in - is not allowing God to finish the good work He has begun in us (Phil. 1:6).

Our mistakes may be massive (with far reaching consequences) or minute (with slight irritations) but there is a world of difference between a 'mistake' and 'failure'. Mistakes are a daily part of life - a part of our sin nature. Perfection just isn't part of the Christian walk - yet. And though we strive to be perfect it is unattainable. I'm sure God never set a goal for us that was already mapped out as a 'failure'. God Himself is perfect. To be like Christ we must be perfect, yet we won't reach that goal 'til we see Him. If we have expectations of perfection - they are more than unrealistic - they are impossible!

That's the battle of the old nature and the new. Paul talks about it in Romans 7. "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out"(v 15-18).

So, I say with Paul, what a wretch I am - who will rescue me? -

"Thanks be to God-through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (v 25).

All for Him,

Missy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home