Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Monday, October 26, 2009

Wise Words

Dear Solomon,

Acknowledge (know) the God of your father and serve Him with wholehearted devotion (a loyal heart) and a willing mind; for the Lord searches every heart and understands every motive (all the intent) behind the thoughts.

If you seek Him He will be found by you.

Your father,

David

(1 Chron. 28:9)

A father's wisdom, passed on to his son. Solomon started out with good intentions - but lacked in follow-through, even though he was the wisest man in the world. Makes you wonder, doesn't it, what chance we have in acting wisely. Yet James tells us that if anyone lacks wisdom he should ask God for it and will receive it! Solomon lacked 'wholehearted' devotion (remember all those wives?) I wonder if his father David saw that lack in him somewhere along the way. We know David had his own issues (don't we all?) but I think where David's motives were pure, Solomon's motives (his intent) was suspect for the long haul.

I don't want to make the same mistakes my ancestors made and I certainly pray my children learn from the mistakes I've made.

Proverbs 4 puts it like this:

My children, listen to your father's teaching;
pay attention so you will understand.
What I am telling you is good,
so do not forget what I teach you.
When I was a young boy in my father's house
and like an only child to my mother,
my father taught me and said,
"Hold on to my words with all your heart.
Keep my commands and you will live.
Get wisdom and understanding.
Don't forget or ignore my words.

Wisdom is 'knowledge', the 'ability to discern', 'insight, good sense', and 'judgment'. Mmmh - I think wisdom comes from one's own experience or listening to those with experience. And listen to this...

Hold on to wisdom, and it will take care of you.
Love it, and it will keep you safe.
Wisdom is the most important thing; so get wisdom.
If it costs everything you have, get understanding.
Treasure wisdom, and it will make you great;
hold on to it, and it will bring you honor.
It will be like flowers in your hair
and like a beautiful crown on your head.

Get wisdom and be beautiful!

All for Him,

Missy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home