Taking Off The Mask
Do you ever wear a mask? Hide behind a certain role or position - a facade that keeps the world from knowing exactly what you're thinking?
I have a good friend that knows when I wear what she calls my 'pastor's wife mask'. It's a certain smile, a facial expression, a demeanor that tells her I'm faking it! I'm saying everything is wonderful - when inside I'm screaming with whatever emotion is going on in there, unwilling to let the world see it.
Now, sometimes, masks can prove valuable and efficient and maybe even necessary in certain situations. If I'm talking to a woman about the loss of her child, I'm not going to allow my emotional tantrums to spill over onto her. I want to focus on her needs. That's true in so many situations - your children's needs shouldn't be overshadowed by adult situations they can't understand, personal problems are best kept out of professional and office situations.the list goes on.
But sometimes we need to take our masks off and become real. Authentic. Show our vulnerability.
I remember when I first learned to wear my 'PW Mask' as my friend puts it. A dear lady came up to me after church and told me that my son - then three years old - had pushed her seven-year-old grandson down the steps at church. She really thought he needed to be taken home and spanked.
Oh.
On went my mask! I smiled perfectly, told her how sorry I was, asked if her grandson was okay and took hold of my sweet baby boy and went home. The 'mask' worked. The lady was satisfied, I avoided a conflict, and all was perfectly fine. Or was it?
I didn't spank him, but unfortunately, my anger at the situation translated 'Mommy's mad at me' to my son. I wish so much I had paused to explain things to him because it caused problems later on, but that's a whole 'nother story for another day!
My point is, I learned to handle all kinds of uncomfortable situations by wearing my 'mask'. While sometimes we need to be more concerned about others feelings and emotions, my friend pointed out to me that sometimes I wear that mask when it's not necessary!
Christians who have been at this faith-thing awhile know what we should think, what we should feel, even what we should say and sometimes that's exactly how we reply to others when asked. To which my friend would say, "That's the right answer, but is it the real answer?"
Proverbs 12:18-19 says, Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing. Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed.
When we aren't honest with ourselves and with God, we may end up not being honest with others about who we really are.
All for Him,
Missy
Labels: Missy






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home