Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Friday, October 16, 2009

Got Grace?

A recent discussion I had centered on the topic of grace. We receive it in abundance from God - but sometimes what we give others is lacking. We limit His grace by being miserly in our love and care for others.

Case in point: I have a friend who has been a Christian for many years. Life has been difficult for her, and in physical, emotional, and even spiritual pain she left the path of righteousness. She has been broken, confessing her sin to God and those she has offended. She is trying to get her life back on track, to walk with God daily, to know His peace and joy in her life again.

But the problem is, many of her brothers and sisters in Christ condemn not only her actions, but even now shun her in repentance. By that I mean that she hasn't suffered enough for them. She hurt others, so now she must 'pay the cost' and her turn-around was too quick for them to be satisfied. Oh, they would never say that directly, but they are wary. Has she truly repented? "Be careful not to be presumptuous of God's grace," they tell her. She hasn't suffered the consequences they think she deserves.

My heart is crushed as I think on these responses to this precious woman. Mostly because I understand them - I've made my own judgment calls on my brothers and sisters in Christ. I've had my own anger and 'it's not fair' moments when I've seen saints sinning.

It is a constant battle to fight our flesh - our old way of thinking. I would never have admitted to wanting 'vengeance' (that belongs to God alone Rom. 12:19) but there have been times I wished people would 'get what's coming to them'. Ouch. Forgive me, Lord, for my arrogance and pride. If we all got what we deserved...

But that's God's abundant grace, isn't it? He gives us what we don't deserve (grace) and holds back from giving us what we do deserve (mercy). The sad thing for me is that sometimes it is so easy to be compassionate toward those outside the faith, while condemning my own brothers and sisters in Christ! Does God's grace only extend to sinners outside of the faith? News flash: we're all sinners saved by grace and we need it everyday.

Sin is sin. Are you lacking faith? That's sin (Heb. 11:6). Do you do things 'in the flesh' rather than rely on the Holy Spirit? You cannot please God (Rom. 8:8) And here's the real clincher that puts me on my face every time I am tempted to withhold grace for someone else:

Here are six things God hates, and one more that he loathes with a passion: eyes that are arrogant, a tongue that lies, hands that murder the innocent, a heart that hatches evil plots, feet that race down a wicked track, a mouth that lies under oath, a troublemaker in the family. (Prov.6:16-19 MSG)

The King James Version calls it 'sowing discord among brethren' - that's a worthless man, a man who devises evil. Oh, that we would be a family of God who embraces one another - speaking the truth in love, disciplining when necessary, and pouring out grace into one another's lives!

All for Him,

Missy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home