Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Confessions of a Peace Lover...

If you follow this blog you know that our oldest daughter has recently moved away to begin a teaching career. The move has gone well, she is adjusting to her new job, enjoying her new church, loving life in the city, and delighted to be a part of a small group of young women from her church.

Recently this group has decided that they need to do more than meet at a coffee shop and talk about life. They've decided they need to serve together, to read and study a book together, and to hold each other in accountability - together.

In case you're wondering, yes, I am smiling! I am all about "doing" life together, and yet I have found that "doing" can just become busy-ness. It's only when we are willing to give someone permission to ask questions of our life that we take the next step in our growing relationship with Christ. Accountability reminds us to "be still"; it encourages us to be who He created us to be, instead of just doing what the world is asking us to do. In my opinion, accountability is the key that unlocks the door to growth!

You can be in a small group and have a good time. You can give your time to a project and feel good about time well spent. You can study a book and learn something new. But accountability takes all of that and gives it new dimension. Accountability asks the question "Have you?" and the response we give takes us to the next step of growth called "Why?" Why do we do, or don't do, the things we know to be important?

Questions for accountability:

1. Have I been a verbal testimony to Christ? Have I been willing to say "I choose this because of my relationship with Christ"? (and if I haven't, why not?)

2. Have I spent adequate time in prayer and reading God's Word? (adequate: enough; sufficient; suitable - again if the answer is no, why not? Who or what am I allowing to take the place of my relationship with the One who loves me most?)

3. Have I seen or read any sexually explicit material that will damage my relationship with my husband/future husband and Christ? (Read "Every Woman's Battle", by Shannon Ethridge to understand the importance of guarding this area of your life)

4. Have I spent money recklessly? Have I demonstrated good stewardship?

5. Have I intentionally honored my family, those closest to me? Am I "other's-minded" or "self-minded"?

6. Have I damaged another with my words?

7. Have I given into an addiction in my life? (remember addictions come in many forms, drugs/alcohol, spending, relationships, the internet - in the old testament they didn't call them "addictions" they called them "idols", an idol is anything that takes the place of God in my life)

8. Have I remained angry towards another?

9. Have I wished misfortune or hardship on anyone?

10. Have I been totally honest today?

11. Have I allowed any person or circumstance to rob me of my joy?

Too often we live life following the traditions of someone else, whether it's our parents, our peer group, or someone or something else we have allowed to impact our daily decisions. Accountability has us look to our relationship with Christ to define how we live our life.

Accountability helps us to "be" who God intended us to be, instead of just "do" what seems right. After all, He created us as "human beings", not as "human doings"!

Until next time.
Beth

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home