Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Friday, March 26, 2010

Welcome to the Neighborhood!

*Editors Note: Annette Braun is our Guest Blogger today. She is married to Mark and mother of three boys ages 17, 16, and 4. A stay-at-home mom for years, Annette is starting an exciting new journey working part time in the Garaway school district. She and her husband live in Sugarcreek, Ohio and serve in their home church NewPointe Community.


Spring has sprung in the heart of Ohio's Amish community and with that the arrival of our new "neighbors". As I was preparing myself for morning devotions, looking over the back of the couch at God's gift of a spectacular sunrise and taking in the sounds of spring as the birds serenaded me, an interruption came from a knock at the front door. It was our new neighbors the "ninja" finches who were at that moment introducing themselves to...well, themselves...through the mirror of our front door brass kick plate. They were literally beating themselves up over their reflection.

Obviously, being new to the neighborhood, they had yet to 'get the memo' informing them that at my house peace and harmony are the way.

As I thought of the simple-minded actions of those ninja finches I found myself stepping outside to take care of the situation and realized that I had frightened them away. Will they know that they have been accepted into my neighborhood of peace and harmony or will they look for acceptance elsewhere? How will they know that I will feed them and make a safe place for them if they don't trust me?

Later that morning I found myself introducing...well, myself...to my reflection in the bathroom mirror, thinking...How many times did God try to welcome me into the lives of someone else or a mission that He had planned for only me and I was frightened away by the unknown, unwilling to trust Him?

I find refuge in knowing God has a season for everything and everyone that only they were created for. Did you ever stop and get lost in the magnitude of that? God specifically created you, me, the ninja finches and all that is beautiful and disruptive for a specific place in His story. Wow!

The good news is, God continued to accept me and speak to me and welcome me into His neighborhood and I have finally moved in and am ready to grow and flourish in whatever garden He plants me.

When doubt confronts me, I take a stroll around the lawn and revel in the splendor of God's beautiful gift of spring. The daffodils have emerged victorious from the mounds of snow and I have experienced the shock and awe of purple and yellow crocus's making their triumphant return as if to say...

20100321_190

"Surprise! Blessings surround you even when you can't see them. Sometimes they're just hidden, waiting for God's perfect timing!"

Annette

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home