Confessions of a Peace Lover...
Galatians 5:22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."
Last week we talked about what keeps us from being healthy; about the fruit that we should be seeing manifested in our lives as we live and grow in Christ. I listed the fruit, as well as the character traits that grow due to the lack of fruit in our lives.
This week I've done a little self-check; I examined my life for fruit.
Have you done that lately? Have you asked yourself if you are living a life of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control? Are you exercising your "faith muscle" and allowing the Holy Spirit to grow you into the child of God He desires you to be?
As I looked at my life, especially my life as I've walked thru some hard times, (times that required exercising that "faith muscle" until it hurt!) I recognized areas that I have definitely grown - YEA GOD! In terms of relationships, there is evidence of fruit, healthy fruit! A decade ago my answer may have been a little different, but the "stuff" of life has drawn me to the word of God, and the word of God has without doubt been at work in my heart, in my life, and in my home! Praise God!
And yet I found that in terms of the "stuff" of life, I am still a work in process. "Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" is MUCH easier for me to exhibit when it comes to dealing with people than when it comes to dealing with some of the daily details of life.
My stumbling blocks seem to be patience, faithfulness and self-control as they relate to the daily stuff that finds its way to my kitchen counter, e-mail box, purse, closets, and drawers!
And as we saw last week, the lack of those fruits growing healthily in my life causes me to remain unhealthy in a couple of areas - those are the very areas that Jesus asks of me "Do you want to be well?"
My answer? Well of course I do - I just don't have time to take care of that particular issue that is keeping me stuck on my mat!
My lack of patience says, "It's an overwhelming task that I can't accomplish quickly so why bother!"
My lack of faithfulness keeps me from being a good steward of the stuff that God has allowed in my life - oh dear, could it be I've gotten lazy in taking care of what needs to be taken care?
My lack of self-control keeps me over-extended in regards to my time, it keeps me "on the mat" (or in my car seat?) instead of walking! (yes, literally! This mama needs to start walking again!)
These three areas have been on-going battles for me. Why do you think I talk about disciplines and stewardship so much? Yup, 'cause I'm always battling my undisciplined nature!
I've come a long way baby, there was a time when my finances were undisciplined. Thru the sound teaching of the Crown Financial Ministries Bible study I was able to recognize where and why I was struggling in that area. At least that's one area I can see growth!
There was also a time when the discipline of being in God's word each and every day was not a part of my daily walk. PRAISE GOD for my friends Andrea, Lisa and Becky and their willingness to walk that walk with me.
I honestly believe that had our accountability group not been grounded and founded in the word of God, Circle of Friends would not be in existence today!
So there is definite growth that is happening in my life. There is healthy fruit to be found: in relationships, in finances, in time spent in prayer and reading the word of God, and in a ministry that is keeping me wondering what God is up to now!
So maybe, just maybe, there is hope for my paper piles, my calendar, my exercise program, and my drawers and closets!
Until next time.
Beth
Labels: Beth






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home