He Knows My Name
In case you haven't picked up on this before, my name is Emily. Has been for the last 24 years. So you could say that I knew if I was a boy or a girl, and before they even officially decided to name me Emily if I turned out to be a girl. But he has a clear memory of praying for his sister, "Emily Megan Koepf Horsfall," (Koepf, my mother's maiden name, is actually my brother's middle name and didn't find it's way to becoming part of mine). He was certain that God was giving him a little sister named Emily, even though my parents weren't.
Emily is a pretty easy name to remember. After all, out of the last 13 years, it spent 12 as the number one most popular girl's name. The year I was born it was number 24 on the list. So needless to say it's a name I've heard once or twice before.
So how is it that the other day at work when I picked up the phone I answered, "This is Amy." What? Where did that come from? How do you not call yourself by the right name? I'm still not sure if it suddenly slipped my mind or I was stressed and confused or if it can just be chalked up to another stupid thing I've done, but I referred to myself by the wrong name.
I mean, it's hilarious right? At least, my coworkers thought so. I've talked about how I have a nickname at work that I'm not too proud of, Helen, but I just came up with a brand new name for myself. I actually called myself the wrong name. And the confusion on the other end of the phone, from someone who had thought for sure they dialed Emily, and that this Amy sounded an awful lot like the Emily they thought they had called, was truly priceless.
There's a lot of people who don't know my name. Who don't bother to remember it. Or people who don't treat it with the same affection as my mom and dad who gave it to me. There's a lot of people out there who couldn't care less if my name was Emily or Amy. And apparently, my name isn't even important enough to me to get it right!
But my Father knows my name. Isaiah 49:15-16 says, "Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne? But even if that were possible, I would not forget you! See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands."
There's a song by Tommy Walker, and the lyrics are below.
He Knows My Name
I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands
I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go
He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call
Yes, He most certainly knows my name. It is carved into His hands. And even if I forget it, He never will.
Emily
Labels: Emily






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home