Could I Do That?
Watching any Olympic event generally amazes me-how do they do that?! It doesn't matter to me if someone comes in first, last, or falls and is disqualified; each one is incredibly talented. I do think what fascinates me so much, though, is those who DO fall, get back up, and finish the race-whatever that race may be. These heart-touching stories happen during every Olympics-not just this current series. As I watch a figure skater bobble or wipe out completely, I ask myself, "How do they go on? Could I do that? Could I fall and get back up as if nothing happened, to finish the event?" What about the athletes who completely fail in one event, but have to come back to complete in yet another one? What goes through their minds? My heart aches for them, and my spirit is so encouraged by them. These are people who have disciplined themselves to do whatever it takes to be successful and effective in what they believe their purpose is. Now I may or may not agree with their regimens of discipline or with other life choices that they make, but I most certainly respect their commitment to follow through until the job is done. Not only do these Olympic competitors prepare well, but they willingly take the huge risk of 'failing' in such a public, world wide way! Would I be as willing to be that vulnerable-simply to be able to possibly win a medal?
I would like to think that for each of the Olympians, winning a medal is NOT about winning a medal. Rather, it is about achieving their most excellent best-something that does not come overnight, but over time. The medal represents all of the sacrifice, hard work, discipline, heartache, hurts and injuries that each has endured because they know they MUST. And they do it without any guarantee of any prize. Please know that I am not making any of them out to be superhuman, or even a good person-merely based upon their accomplishments. Being a good person of good character can only be determined by what's in one's heart, mind, and soul-places into which we cannot see. However, one's actions, behaviors, and accomplishments can give us deep insight into one's character. These things are how one's character is manifested-or how character, or the lack of character, 'shows up'. But aside from any 'character' issue, I have much to learn from these competitors. They cannot do what they do without a deep sense of commitment, devotion, loyalty, self-sacrifice, and just plain hard work. I would like to believe that the proverbial carrot that dangles in front of their noses is one of intrinsic personal excellence rather than only the possibility of an extrinsic reward. Why do they do what they do-over and over, fall after fall, loss after loss, injury after injury? I would need to ask each one of them to know for sure. The inspiration I get from them is to never give up when I am doing what has been placed in front of me to do. Whatever age I am and in whatever stage of life I find myself, can I be committed to the tasks at hand? Will I run my race and finish my course, regardless of how it feels, how uncomfortable it might get, or how many times I might stumble, fall, or even fail? Will I choose to continually trust my heavenly Father-the 'Coach' who has designed my course-to enable and to equip me to finish well? I believe as I continue to discipline myself in following my Coach and His ways, He will continue to fulfill the purposes that He has put into me. And I am only ONE of His many team members. YOU are another-and He will do the same for you! Talk with Him; tell Him what is on your mind and in your heart; ask Him questions-simple and hard; ask for His guidance; take time to listen as He coaches you through your personal Olympic events.
".let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
-Hebrews 12:1-3
Be encouraged!!
Thanks for reading,
Libby
Labels: Libby






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home