Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Monday, February 15, 2010

A Little Too Familiar

As a part of Circle of Friends Marketplace Ministry Pastor Bruce Hamsher teaches character development classes to area businesses. The other day I had a unique opportunity to participate in a drama at one of his leadership seminars.

The skit involved three women discussing their everyday lives. I got to play the obnoxious one - you know, the whiner and complainer. I even got a laugh when I complained about how the people of the church were always criticizing each other and talking behind each other's back. (I was obviously leading the way there!)

I joked later that I was 'type-cast' - but the uncomfortable truth is - it was an easy part to play because I've been there, done that. It was way too familiar to me because I have been in that situation again and again.

Whether it's listening to others complain or even taking part in conversations that drag others down, I have seen the effects of criticism and complaining. I've even talked about it in a prior blog 'Toxic Waste'. Once you start down that path it's a slippery slope - everything goes down hill from there!

The thing that struck me about it was how comfortable I felt - how easily the words rolled off my tongue - how quickly I slipped into the role I was playing. Like I wasn't even acting!

Just shows you how quickly we can get off track and veer onto our own railway line - usually ending in a dead end or worse - remember the old cartoons where the tracks went straight over the edge of a cliff...

I am reminded of Jeremiah 21:9 where the prophet proclaimed, "The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?"

It is a constant fight against my old nature to be shaped and molded into His image.

Time to find a new character to play.

All for Him,

Missy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home