Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Friday, February 26, 2010

A Child By Any Other Name is Still-PRECIOUS in His Sight!!

Just when I think I can't do one more day of substitute teaching, something happens that reminds of why I do what I do. Currently I am doing a long-term position in one of the resource rooms. If you don't know what that is, it is the room that caters to the 'special needs' students; formerly known as 'mentally retarded/developmentally disabled' (MRDD); formerly known as some other acronym before that one; and I'm quite sure there have been other equally confusing acronyms. Presently the room I am in is known as 'PRRB' (primary resource room b-I have no idea what the 'b' stands for). The label changes happen over time due to negative connotations that become associated with the particular name. This kind of thing happens all the time in many areas. And believe me-it can get ridiculous. When children are divided into small groups, they are not called 'A' group, 'B' group, and 'C' group. Oh no-that could make a 'C' group child feel like they are just not as good as an 'A' group child, even though the letter names are simply used as a way of labeling the groups-NOT the abilities. So, we might give them names of animals instead. 'Bears', 'Turtles', and 'Rabbits'. Wait a minute-that's not going to work either. The 'Turtles' will think they are SLOWER than the other two groups. See what I mean? I've often thought, can't we just come up with names and not read anything into them. The kids don't seem to pay any attention as to whether they are 'A, B, C' or 'X, Y, Z'. But I digress.

Getting back to my classroom-you can rename this class all you want; load it down with initials, but it won't matter. The students will always know that they are 'different'. There is something about them that doesn't 'fit' into the other classes-and that knowledge does not come from the label on the classroom door.

Today I was working with my second and third graders while my first graders were at recess with the 'regular' two first grade classes. When they returned, Tyler was in tears (he's very tender hearted.) As he wiped his eyes and nose with his handkerchief (yes, you read that right-sweet little cotton handkerchief), he sputtered words which I knew I needed to attempt to understand and interpret. I stopped what I was doing with the rest of the class, and we listened to Tyler. Long story short-he never got chosen to be 'it' in the game. I talked with him and with the class about how disappointing that can be and how much that can hurt; but we do need to remember that we will probably not be chosen when we want to be, and it really is not up to us. We share, take turns, blah, blah, blah. It will happen. We need to be good team players no matter what. Well-then the rest of the class shared that 'no', it will not happen. They never get chosen by the students. When they shared this, they didn't share it with anger, bitterness, or even sadness. They shared it as if they simply accepted it as 'the way it is-normal'. My heart broke for them. I didn't want to dishonor their schoolmates-especially not having experienced any of this first hand, so I talked with them about the possibility that the children were not being mean or intentional about not choosing them. Could it be that the children simply don't think about choosing them because they are not around my students much during the day? Could it be that it has nothing to do with 'liking them or NOT liking them'? Yes, they agreed with my ideas. I did too! I firmly want to believe that while, yes, there are some students who intentionally and deliberately mistreat and bully others; most DON'T. We also talked about really being aware of how it feels when you believe you have been left out, mistreated, bullied, etc-whether or not it is intentional. Use those feelings to remind you NOT to treat others in that same way.

In the midst of this chit-chat, they also shared that when they are chosen to do anything, they are chosen last. I could tell that was a bummer to all of them, and they really don't see any possibility of change. I sat myself down on one of the desks-felt like I was closer to them-and said, "Do you know what the Bible tells us?" And then I paraphrased (very loosely I am sure, but I just wanted them to get it!!), "God tells us that if you feel like you are always last, someday He is going to make you FIRST! Isn't that good news?!" Wow-the smiles, the light in their eyes, and even a renewed sense of 'okay, let's get back to work now!' was priceless. I just wanted to cry-and hug them-and kiss them-and take them all home with me. (Okay, honestly-I'd want to return them a few minutes later! Not because of who they are, but just because I'm TIRED at the end of the school day!!)

I felt energized-by them-by their sweet honesty and vulnerability. I felt energized-by God-as He equipped me to give them what they needed in such a moment. I hope I never get so bogged down by the 'paper pushing predicament' of being a school teacher nowadays, that I ignore-or don't even notice-those teachable moments that build into a child's character and wisdom; and then take full advantage of them. "Thank You, Lord, for giving me Your gentle reminder of why I do what I do. Please, please, please help me to LOVE these children as You do. Help me, no matter HOW I am feeling, to treat each day as an opportunity to invest in them rather than to simply be in the classroom with them."

Thanks for allowing me to share my experience. You are most gracious for reading about it!

Thanks for reading,

Libby

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home