Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Confessions of a Peace Lover...

Did you ever have one of those days when you're getting much accomplished, you're focused, organized, and feeling a bit like you're in the midst of a marathon? Yesterday was one of those days for me.

It was a productive day; I got laundry started in the morning. Since it was a payroll week I had those duties as well as my regular office work to complete and thankfully all went well. I didn't pay attention to the clock except when I was ready to leave work and realized I could get groceries AND pick up kids from school AND be home in time to make a real home-cooked dinner while I finished up laundry! YEA! That's a banner day at our house!

Dinner came and went, the kids got their homework done, I paid some bills while I watched a show with them, and when the show was over I sent them off to brush teeth. We prayed together, tucked them in, and then I looked at my husband and said, "I'm ready for bed!" He didn't comment right away, but moments later he came to me and said, "You do know it's not 9 o'clock yet, right?"

No, I really didn't know that! I was on autopilot, doing what needed to be done, not looking at the clock, and since the show we watched was on DVR I simply assumed that it was over at 9, which is bedtime at our house.

And so it came to be that last night I was in bed by nine. I felt a bit foolish, but also knew that my body was tired. Honestly, I figured I would wake up very early and told myself that I would accomplish much in those wee hours of the morning.

I slept nine hours! And boy did it feel good! I am so glad I didn't pay attention to the clock, so glad I let my body tell me when it was time for rest, so glad I didn't look at that time last evening and decide to do something else with it. Yes, there would have been time to watch a show, read a book, check my e-mail, or write a blog. But at that point last night none of those things held any importance for me. And I am so glad!

Jesus said "Come unto Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

I wonder if God ever wonders if we realize what time it is? There may be days He has much for us to accomplish, and days He wants us to rest. He created us, He created time, it would make sense that He will see to it that we have the time for all that He wants us to accomplish, to experience, and to be - if we can only get our eyes off of the clock on the wall, and instead allow Him to order our thoughts, our plans, and our days.

Until next time.
Beth

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home