Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Why?

Did you ever wonder if it's okay to ask God the tough questions? Recently I heard a message preached by Dwight Jarboe, CEO of Missionary Maintenance Service (MMS) Aviation www.mmsaviation.org, entitled 'That's a Good Question'. He broke questions down into two categories and defined them this way: "Honest question: A question I ask expecting the answer may change me. Dishonest question: May simply be a way to advance my agenda - the answer is not important to me."

God respects honest questions. I would even go so far to say that He invites them. Sometimes He answers us - and sometimes He is silent. Here are some of Dwight's reasons why God may remain silent:

1. God may withhold an answer if I am disrespectful.

2. I may be unable to understand the answer.

3. I may be unable to cope with the answer.

4. God may answer with silence because the answer is silence. Sometimes my questions themselves are answer enough.

I loved this message! First, because I've known Dwight personally as an elder of our church for many years and know the depth of his character and godliness. I've also been blessed to hear his wisdom on more than one occasion! But secondly, these thoughts have stayed with me because they have caused me to look at my own questions for God.

I've never thought about how honest my questions are - that is, what am I expecting in return? When I approach God with the things that puzzle me - do I do it out of honest searching, or more of a 'this is what I see and what are you going to do about it' attitude? The second one horrifies me - but in all honesty I have to admit that could be my attitude at times if I'm not careful.

Are you ever presumptuous with God? Demanding an answer, instead of asking an 'honest' question - one that, given the answer, might very well change your heart and life?

I want to come before Him and lay out what I'm searching for, then be willing to wait for His answer. Knowing there is one. God's ways are a mystery to me - but not to Him! There's a great deal of comfort for me in that.

And when He is silent? There's a reason for that, too! "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,' says the LORD." (Is. 55:8) There is so much that I don't - and my finite mind can't - understand about God and His ways. There are times when I don't even know what questions to ask! And then there are those times I couldn't handle the answer. There are times when I really long to know the future, but mostly I'm just glad that I didn't know what was going to happen before it did and that God saved me the burden of carrying the knowledge beforehand.

Sometimes we think God is silent, but He's already answered our question! We just haven't seen it yet, or understood the answer.

I've thought most about Dwight's observation that sometimes the question is the answer. The process of seeking, asking, waiting for a response gives us a chance to ponder, meditate, and consider what we already know about God. We have the answer already - we just have to remind ourselves who God is and what He has done for us!

And that's the way I see it. Any questions?

All for Him,

Missy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home