Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Confessions of a Peace Lover...

So maybe it's not my closet's fault, or the roof, or global warming, or even the clothing manufacturer. Maybe, just maybe, my clothes are not shrinking. Maybe, perhaps, just possibly, it has more to do with me than with my clothes. What do you think?

(Heavy Sigh) Yes, it's true; I have become less than intentional about my physical exercise. At some point this summer the idea of walking for my health became less important to me. It would be easy to say, "I just didn't have time". But more and more I've come to see that those words have nothing to do with the twenty-four hours I'm given each day, instead I should be saying "It's just not that important to me".

Think about it, think about all the things we say "sorry, don't have time" to. Exercise is one of them for me. Filing is another thing I often tell myself "I just don't have time". Weeding the flowerbeds, cleaning out the garage, washing windows, sending a card, making a phone call, or being intentional about relationships - actually stopping to sit and visit. "I'm busy, I just don't have time!" And yet, I have time to write these blogs, check my e-mail, (AND FaceBook), even in the midst of work, ministry, and mothering. I really do have time to do the things that I want to do.

I use to tell myself I just didn't have time to sit down to read my Bible and spend some time in prayer every day. Oh my, substitute the words "it's just not that important to me" in that space. Ouch.

And the sad thing is most of those things we don't have time for have a real life consequence that we will find ourselves having to make time for at some point. Exercise, diet, taking care of myself, may not be important enough to me for me to make/take the time for today, but the long-term effect can be devastating. Other things may not be as devastating but they will still be overwhelming - the important paper I can't find, the weeds that reseed themselves, and the garage I may no longer be able to park a car in.

And then there are simply the things we put off, (again, substitute don't have time/not that important) that can never be regained - the "thinking of you" card, the words of encouragement, the time spent with a loved one.

Just as I won't allow my kids to use the word "fair" (hello, it's a four letter word that begins with f, and it usually simply means "I'm not getting my way"!) I am trying hard to no longer say, "I just don't have time".

Either something is important enough for me to give my time to, or it's not. In some ways it's freeing to be able to look at it that way. But in other ways it is nothing but convicting. Ouch! The truth really does hurt, but I have a feeling it's about to set me free.

Until next time.

Beth

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home