Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Monday, September 21, 2009

Survival Mode

So, I'm sitting on the floor of the dressing room crying. Can anyone relate? I hate what I see in the mirror (and yes, Beth, I've read your blog - I'm looking at the 'long term effects' of not sticking with my exercise program - because it wasn't 'that important' to me!)

I'm running through all the excuses in my mind - my hypo-thyroidism, medications I'm taking that make me gain weight, age, and all the other things that cause my 'metabolism slow-down' and I still come up with the fact that I let go of the ball. I dropped it. I went into what I call 'survival mode'.

Have you ever been there? Life piles up on you and you get overwhelmed with all the circumstances of your life...maybe it's a financial crunch , or job and deadline stresses, or difficult relationships. Maybe it's emotional or physical pain.

For me, it started with a transitional season in our lives and an unknown future. We were 'homeless' for about three months (living off the kindness of our children and other relatives) with everything we owned in storage and wondering - what's next? Then when my husband began driving transport vehicles to support us I found myself living alone for much of the time and - yup! That's when it happened. I shifted into 'survival mode'. Doing whatever it takes to get through today and leaving everything else for 'later'. Some other time. When I have the energy to deal with it. When I feel better, get more sleep, am more creative, after I get this other thing done...Even the excuses piled up on me!!

Survival mode. There are times in our lives when we can get overwhelmed with the daily grind. Life can creep up and knock us over the head. That's the time we need to re-group. God tells us in His word to 'redeem the time' (Eph. 5:15 & Col. 4:5). According to these verses it has to do with wisdom. To know how best to use our time we need to ask God what He wants us to do.

Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (Jn 10:10). "...for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart" (Gal 6:9) By God's strength, and with His wisdom, we can prioritize each day and live it fully without regrets.

It's time to move from a surviving mode to a 'thriving mode"!

All for Him,

Missy

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home