Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What's Your Weight?

I work for a company that provides home medical equipment. I have the dreaded title of "Customer Service Representative," which really doesn't quite give justice to what I do, because basically I have to be a walking encyclopedia of any and all knowledge of medical equipment, insurances, diagnoses, etc. But alas, with that comes the joy of dealing with people.

A lot of our equipment is weight-bearing, so obviously we need to know how much a patient weighs to make sure they're not over the limit for liability reasons. One patient called in requesting a walker, and when I asked the question of her weight she was extremely offended. She angrily told me that she was not going to disclose that information over the phone in front of her coworkers, and that she knew HIPAA (the laws in place to protect our personal health information) and I was asking her to violate that. I did my best to kindly let her know that she could call me back when she had some privacy, and resisted the urge to inform her that 1) It was not my fault she called me from work, 2) It is not a HIPAA violation to disclose your own health information, and 3) the people she worked with probably had a pretty good idea of what that number was anyway.

Now trust me, I can be sensitive about the issue. I hate looking down at the scale. But I began thinking about how funny it is that we women hate to have that number out in the air, and that maybe if no one else knows it then it isn't actually true. The fact still remains, however, that we look like what we look like and we weigh what we weigh.

When we sin we can kinda try to do the same thing. We carry the proof on us, but we think we can hide it. We refuse say it out loud, refuse to admit it. But we still have sin in our lives. And when we try to cover it up, we never really get around to dealing with it.

As shameful as it is to admit to our struggles, we're here to help each other. Paul says in Galatians 6:1-2, "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." We're not supposed to struggle alone; we're supposed to share and carry each other's load.

If there's a sin in your life you just can't seem to overcome, quit trying to do it on your own. Several months ago Beth gave some great insight why having an accountability partner is so important, and what kind of questions to ask one another. I'd definitely encourage you to go back and read them - good stuff there! An accountability partner is such a help and encouragement.

Whether it's someone specific you meet with regularly, or several different people who can help you through different situations, it can be such a help to have someone see you through a struggle with sin. God doesn't expect us to do it alone. Hebrews 10:24 says, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." 1 Thessalonians 5:11 says to, "...encourage one another and build each other up."

So while having someone in your life ask you tough questions that may not be fun to answer, having someone who cares and prays earnestly for you will be worth the vulnerability. And at least (hopefully), they won't ask you your weight!

Emily

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home