Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Can We Do It? Yes, We Can!

You ever get a really bad haircut?

I was fourteen, and I had found a cute style in a magazine. I cut it out and took it to my hairdresser. The cut I wound up with looked nothing like what I had showed her. In fact, I looked more like Florence Henderson in the Brady Bunch, you know, where she had that crazy thin layer that flipped out under a bob? I don't have any actual pictures of that horrendous 'do', but it was something like this.

bad haircut

I know. Awful, right? As soon as my mom and I were in the car I started bawling, looking in the mirror and hating what I saw. I was absolutely devastated, so my mom figured the best thing she could do was to take me to my best friend's house, because if I wouldn't believe her that it wasn't nearly as terrible as I was making it out to be, then maybe I would believe my best friend.

I tried to convince myself on the drive over that it would be okay, and that surely my friend would offer me some consolation. "Oh Em," she said when I walked in the door, hand over her mouth. She took me upstairs and dug through her barrettes, ponytail holders, and headbands and said, "There's gotta be some way we can fix this!"

I love her response. I didn't at the time, because it really didn't make me feel better. She didn't lie to me and tell me that it was alright or that she liked it. The truth still remained that I looked terrible; she didn't try to hide that fact. But looking back I appreciate it because she let me know she was there to do whatever she could to help fix my problem.

When we come to God with our bad haircuts, He definitely doesn't lie to us. We bring Him an ugly mess, and He says, "Yep, that's an ugly mess. But there's a way we can fix it." Don't you love that? God is the ultimate hairdresser! There is nothing He can't make better. The process may be painful, and it may take a long time, but He can make anything beautiful - even that awful Carol Brady look.

So if you're walking around with a really terrible, awful haircut, and you're terrified of letting anyone else near you with a pair of scissors, let me give you the number of the One who 'does my hair'. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Emily

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home