Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Monday, January 25, 2010

HOLY COMPOST! (And I don't mean Batman!)

Recently there has been much written on this website about STUFF-trash, messes, clutter, etc. At the risk of sounding repetitive, I am going to go there again. Lately it feels as if I am continually dumping-stuff out of closets, nooks, and crannies; trash receptacles; the compost bucket; litter boxes; my kids-oops, I think I will keep them! This morning I (finally) emptied the compost bucket that is kept under the sink. (I dump it into a bigger composting bin outside.) When I first began composting, I didn't know much about it at all (still don't!). At that time, I neglected to turn the materials and just let it all sit in the bin-unattended. It didn't compost-it just attracted all kinds of small, living, unattractive things; and it smelled like-like the bad waste that it had become.

Well, it was absolutely amazing the difference when I attended to that 'waste' properly, and-'presto-change-o'-dark, rich, nutrient-filled compost appeared. Of course this didn't happen overnight; it takes time to create good compost out of what we would naturally call 'waste'. It also takes attention from the one who desires to have the compost. There needs to be the right balance of moisture, light/darkness, and stirring it all around. As I was doing the kitchen waste dumping this morning, I felt so glad that Jesus pays that kind of necessary attention to me. I can allow myself to be filled to the brim with waste; and He is so ready, willing, and able to sort through it all, add what is needed, mix it all up, and be patient with me while the 'composting' process is at work. Wow-the thought of God Almighty being patient with ME is amazing; but He knows His desired end result. He desires to continually be at work in me to 'presto-change-o' me into one who will be a richly spirit-filled vessel who will bring Him honor and glory in all I do.

He never sees any of us as 'waste'-at least not the way we tend to see waste. He sees us as His children, created in His image; and He desires to conform us into His likeness-having us possess the fruit of His Holy Spirit as we allow Him to turn our 'waste' into His 'holy compost'; able to be used to do beautiful things! He doesn't throw us away; He transforms us-no matter how stinky and wasteful we have allowed ourselves to become. He is patient and kind in the process; but don't let that cause you to believe the process won't hurt. Remember, the proper balance of waste materials needs to be turned, mixed up, agitated-and not just once! God knows under what conditions we will best be formed to His image. I pray that I-we-will allow Him to have His way as He patiently and lovingly 'composts' us, and then 'spreads' us around to do His wonderful work!

Thanks for reading,

Libby

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home