What's Undercover?
As I walked past my son's bedroom door, my peripheral vision revealed a very pleasant surprise-he had actually made his bed without being asked, poked, or prodded! I quickly found him downstairs and thanked him. I didn't thank him for actually making the bed; rather for making it of what appeared to be his own initiative. Ahhh, there is hope for this wonderful young man! BUT WAIT!! Upon further investigation (okay, I wasn't really investigating-I simply needed to go into his room to retrieve something), my peripheral vision again caught sight of something a bit more revealing-a part of his bedding that beckoned me to go 'undercover'. And so I did. I looked past the carefully arranged top pillows and stuffed guitar, and lifted the edge of the comforter on his finely frocked bed. What did I see? A MESS!! My son had literally taken his comforter and carefully spread it over his sheets and blanket without straightening up any of them. It looked as if he simply jumped out of bed and manipulated that comforter in a way that would look as if he had successfully made his bed. This all took probably about 15 seconds to do I'm guessing. My initial reaction was kind of a mock horror mixed with humor at his 'creative' attempt at completing a task.
I laughed.
Then I didn't laugh.
I found myself wondering what was going through his mind as he was making his bed. (Of course, whatever it was could have only lasted for those 15 seconds I mentioned earlier-not much time for intentional strategy!) Next I found myself thinking about the very real possibility that he actually thought he had completed his task successfully-the finished product was good enough to pass Mom's quality control. The other possibility for his bed-making bedlam was 'deceit'. Ouch! Was it possible that he made the outside appearance of his bed look good enough to fool me into believing that the inside-or what was 'undercover'-was in good enough shape as well? I didn't want to think that he would even be capable of that motive. Well-while I am quite sure he IS capable of that motive (after all, he still contains some human nature within!), it turns out that he simply believed he had made his bed quite successfully. (I wish I could have been there watching him do the job-or maybe not!) To him, there was no ulterior motive, hidden agenda, or deceit-he was just making his bed.
This did get me thinking though about outward appearances versus what's 'undercover'. It does feel good and even 'right' to know that our outward appearances are well tended and groomed. We have spent an appropriate amount of time and energy to accomplish a certain 'look'. But what is lurking beneath the surface-the 'heart'? Do we spend the appropriate amount of time and energy to nurture good character, emotional stability, and a healthy spirit by spending time with THE heart specialist-God Himself? Oh, how I know that I am in great need of evaluating this in my life so often! I also know that if I don't evaluate this area, I will easily be deceived into believing that a 'successful' outward appearance is sufficient-functioning as a well placed comforter over the mess of what is hidden underneath. I need to learn a lesson from observing my son's bed-making effort-each time I tend to the outside (that of my appearance), I need to ask myself if I have adequately tended to the inside (that of my heart). I am truly thankful that it is God Himself who tends to any 'messiness' that lurks within me. He is the only One who can sufficiently clean it up!
Thanks for reading,
Libby
Labels: Libby






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home