Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Giver of Every Good and Perfect Gift

I bought my husband an IPod Touch last night.

He had wanted one for a while, especially when he saw his mother-in-law (thanks to a generous son) and his little sister (thanks to a generous boyfriend) both carrying theirs around.

We had gotten a check from his grandparents for Christmas and had just paid off a credit card and other miscellaneous debts, so I didn't feel too bad splurging a bit.

My husband's reaction when I told him what I wanted to do with the money was priceless. "Really??!!! Seriously??!!" We're usually very practical with any extra money that he couldn't believe that I wanted to use our Christmas money for something for him. Multiple times during our trip to Best Buy he looked over and told me that I was the Best. Wife. Ever.

I couldn't help but wonder how he could be so surprised by it. I'm his wife after all. I want to give him good things. I want him to have not only the things he needs but also the things he wants. I love to be a part of that. I'd seen him over the last 8 months as he struggled to find a full-time job. Watched him humbly walk into his old boss's office and ask if he could pick up any shifts. Saw him as he tiredly went off to work a night shift, or when he came home exhausted from working a double. I knew the sacrifices he had made, things he didn't get to do and things he didn't get to have. Why wouldn't I want to do something like this for him?

It made me think of Matthew 7, when Jesus tells us to ask, seek, and knock. He goes on to say that a parent wouldn't give their child a stone if he had asked for bread, or a snake if he asked for fish. Verse 11 says, "If you, then, though you are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask Him!"

Sometimes I don't ask God for things. I know that I have so much, that He's blessed me in so many ways, and that even trials and struggles are a blessing and that I shouldn't ask Him for anything more than He's already given me. But I so often forget that He's my Father and He's told me to ask. He's the giver of every good and perfect gift according to James 1:17. As much as a parent wants to give to their children, or as much as I as wife want to give to my husband, God wants to give to me.

Granted, what He gives and when He gives often differ from what I want, but in the end I never cease to be amazed at what He does. And when I have asked and He answers, I am reminded that the God I serve is not detached or removed from me. He is my Father, my Provider, and the One who loves me more than anyone else.

Emily

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home