Circle of Friends our circle of friends

Women Encouraging Women to Follow Christ

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Confessions of a Peace Lover...

Several weeks ago I happened to realize that daughter Emily and I have the very same eye prescription. It was one of those random "huh, isn't that interesting" moments. Not nearly as exciting as realizing that there are clothing or shoes sizes that we have in common (definitely one of the perks of having 4 daughters, my clothing and shoe selection has increased!) but an interesting find nonetheless.

Today that random piece of information became a little more fun...my contact tore and I didn't have an extra one on hand. This means I am going to have to wear glasses for the next couple of days. My glasses are about four years old. I can see out of them, quite well in fact, but lets face it, styles have changed and they're not quite as up-to-date as they could be. But Emily's glasses are! (I don't know exactly why that is but many moms I know are like me, wearing the old stuff while we make sure our kids are up-to-date, that may be a blog for another day!)

So today I have walked around in glasses that belong to a 15 year old, and yes, I was feeling quite stylish all day long.

But as I put them on this morning I had to think to myself, wouldn't it be interesting if we could simply put someone else's glasses on and suddenly see life thru their eyes. How would it be to see life thru the eyes of a 15 year old again? Or, if I could wear my mom's glasses, thru the eye's of an 82 year old Alzheimer patient? OR what if I could do that with my hubby's glasses? (or he with mine?)

Think of it, what if I could "see" the fears that cause people to react in certain ways? What if I could see life thru the eyes of the one who has made me feel "not good enough", or one whom I have left feeling the same way? What if I could be the star of the team, or the child who is abused.. all determined by the lens I am looking thru.

I know all of this is not physically possible. But I think it might be what Jesus was trying to get us to do when He said, "Love your neighbor as yourself". Put on your neighbors "glasses" and see life thru their eyes. And don't just stop with your neighbor; make sure you give your spouse, your kids, your co-workers, and that parent you DON'T want to sit by at the ball game the same eyeglass test.

There really is a reason we all do what we do, and most all of it is a result of the "lens" we view life thru.

So maybe we don't really need all those pairs of glasses, we simply need new eyes, the eyes of Christ, new "lenses" to filter life thru - and while we're at it we could probably benefit from His ears, His mind, and His heart too - and then we can truly be His hands, ministering to the needs of those around us, and loving our neighbors as ourselves.

Until next time...
Beth

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THank you Beth for such a wonderful reminder in a simple way that we can take with us through the day!!!! You touched my heart. Thanks!!!

August 25, 2009 at 5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home